The ADAM Coaching Methodology
The ADAM coaching methodology also developed by the CEE is a structured approach to executive coaching. This consists of a four-step process that is firmly grounded in leadership development best practices.
- A series of psychometric assessments and information gathering from a series of stakeholders’ interviews, including the immediate manager of the disruptive leader being coached (known as the coachee), will be conducted.
- The primary objective is to determine how the coachee’s performance links to current business goals.
- An assessment of the coachee’s competencies, skills, styles, values, and leadership effectiveness forms the basis of the action plan.
- Gather background on the situation, identify the purpose of the coaching engagement, and discuss expected outcomes.
- Conduct an in-depth coachee interview, including life and career history, self-perceived behavioral and leadership strengths and shortcomings, and desire to close the gap on weaknesses and further develop the strengths.
- Hold a tripartite session with coachee and sponsor (the coachee’s immediate manager), to obtain the senior management’s commitment, and define the degree of confidentiality.
- Provide an overview of the coaching process, timetable, and parameters of the engagement.
- Meetings are scheduled to review the assessment data.
- The coachee will be provided with feedback based on the results of the assessments that have been undertaken.
- Development objectives are discussed between the coachee and the coach to link the feedback received, with the agreed business goals and professional objectives.
- Based on the key objectives identified, coaching activities and timelines are developed jointly between the coachee and the coach.
- The coachee, with the support of the coach, will develop an action plan that will enable coachees to determine what to do to close the gaps in their leadership capability.
- The coach and the coachee form a working alliance where the coach provides the stimulus and environment for the coachee who will write the action plan.
- The plan is formalized and shared by the coachee with the sponsor for agreement and support of the action plan and expected development outcomes.
- The sponsor will sign off on the development plan to ensure that there is alignment with the business objectives.
- The coachee will implement the development plan by taking well-defined action steps and regular feedback during scheduled monthly coaching sessions with the coach, which enables the coachee to move toward measurable goals.
- “Shadowing” or observation of the coachee at work (as needed and if appropriate).
- Specific actions are taken to develop the key skills and knowledge agreed to in the development plan. These actions may include:
- Behavior modification and efforts to use new behaviors.
- Building new skills and competencies while refining others.
- Developing key relationships within the sponsoring organization.
- Communication strategies for successful networking and being an ambassador for the sponsoring organization.
- The sponsor and coach communicate, in person, by phone, or through e-mail, to discuss specific situations and maintain focus on the objectives of the development plan.
- There is also an opportunity for contact with the sponsor to monitor progress, as defined within the parameters of the sponsoring organization’s/coach confidentiality agreement.
- A full evaluation of the coaching process and engagement based on the agreed success metrics at the beginning of the assignment yields objective measures of business results and professional outcomes for both the organization and the coachee.
- Periodically, and after the coaching program, the coachee and the coach will discuss progress against the plan and determine action plans as appropriate.
- A final tripartite coaching meeting will be held, where the results of the coaching engagement will be presented to the sponsor.
- The recommended next step for the continuous professional development of the coachee will be discussed and agreed upon with the sponsor.
- The consistent ADAM coaching delivery methodology ensures that every coachee receives the same degree of insightful business analysis, personalized consideration, and performance-driven priority.
Reference: Sattar Bawany (2023), Leadership in Disruptive Times: Negotiating the New Balance. Business Expert Press (BEP) LLC, New York, NY. Abstract available at:https://www.disruptiveleadership.institute/second-edition-abstract/